Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dijon-Tarragon Chicken





I needed help coming up with what to make for dinner tonight, so I asked my "email clan". Grace sent me this recipe and said she was making it tonight...so I sent it to Jake and he approved. I have never used tarragon before so I wasn't sure what to expect. (ok, I used it once, but it wasn't fresh and I didn't use a lot). Upon opening the package of fresh tarragon, I wasn't sure that I was really going to like this. It had kind of a funky smell. I continued on with it anyway. This dish is really good, however, I don't think I'm a huge fan of tarragon, so maybe I will use dill next time. I am listing the recipe how I did it. I tripled the stuff in the "gravy" because Jake and I like extra to put on our rice or potatoes....or whatever we're having with dinner. So, here ya go!

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 cup light cream
  • 3 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • flour (to coat chicken)

DIRECTIONS

  1. Melt the butter and heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Mix together flour, salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, and place in the skillet. Brown on both sides. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and continue cooking 15 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear. Set aside and keep warm.
  2. Put minced garlic in the pan and sautee a bit. Stir cream into the pan, scraping up brown bits. Mix in mustard and tarragon. Cook and stir 5 minutes, or until thickened. Return chicken to skillet to coat with sauce. Drizzle chicken with remaining sauce to serve.
Tonight I made fresh string beans and brown rice to go with the chicken. The extra sauce went great on the rice.

No comments: