Sunday, March 2, 2008

chili

I got this recipe from a friend who got it from allrecipes.com. I have tinkered with the recipe a bit (as usual). I love making this. Its so good and so easy.

Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef (I used ground turkey usually)
  • 1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
  • 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I omit)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (I omit)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin (I probably use a little more than what's called for)
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • I add about 6-10 cloves of garlic (minced in chopper)
Directions:
  • Place ground beef in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and crumble.
  • I sautée the onion and garlic in some EVOO prior to doing the next step
  • In a large pot over high heat combine the ground beef, tomato juice, tomato sauce, kidney beans, pinto beans, onions, bell pepper, cayenne pepper, sugar, oregano, ground black pepper, salt, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. (Note: If using a slow cooker, set on low, add ingredients, and cook for 8 to 10 hours.)
***I top my own bowl with fat free shredded cheddar cheese. I also eat it with crumbled fat free saltines.

****The chili is somewhat liquidy, however it is much thicker the following day if you have leftovers....or if you cook it the day before to eat the next day.

No comments: