Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Gluten Free vanilla wafers

My brother has Celiac Disease, which means he cannot eat anything containing gluten. He loves banana pudding (which has vanilla wafers in it), so I made these instead of the boxed kind. They are pretty good...just kind of difficult to get off the baking sheet (hence the crumbling in the picture above)

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. shortening (I used I can't believe its not butter spray...just poured it in)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1/8 t. salt
  • 1 1/2 c. gluten free baking flour
  • 1 1/2 t. baking powder
  • 1 T. water
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 325
  • Mix together first 6 ingredients
  • Sift in flour and baking poweder
  • Add the 1 T. water and mix
  • The batter is somewhat liquidy, so I just kind of pour spoonfuls on the baking sheet. I tried to do them in about 1 inch circles. The cookies spread out instead of up when baking.
  • Bake about 10-15 minutes or until the edges start browning.
A metal spatula might work better to get the cookies off the sheet.

No comments: